Kellie Day is a Golden Paints Art Educator, and has created artwork for Trader Joe’s, The North Face, Alpinist Magazine and more.
This class is currently closed to the public.
Welcome to Butterfly Painting Class
Perhaps you have a dream or a belief or something you would love to do that you haven’t been able to make happen in your life yet. Maybe you don’t have the confidence, maybe it seems too big an undertaking.
Butterflies are a symbol for bursting free from your current life into a more beautiful one, and because of this, are the perfect representation of our dreams for an art project. They are also elegant creatures with transparent wings and brilliant colors.
As we paint these butterflies, imagine that anything is possible in your life. You’ll collage inspirational words, poetry and quotes into these works of art, so that when you are done with your painting you not only have a pretty picture on the wall, but also something to encourage you to spread your wings and fly more freely in your own life. Contact me here if you have questions!
Read more details on the next tab – Or scroll down to see the lessons…
Price: This bite-size class is $32.
“Our limiting beliefs hold us captive in a place that’s safe and familiar, making us cling to where we are, rather than embracing change and completing the cycle. When we find ourselves in that place between no longer and not yet — it takes the utmost courage to spread our wings and simply fly.” – Huffington Post
When you paint this picture, dare to dream.
In this class we will start with a black and white collage layer, and then create expressive, loose butterfly wings without worrying about composition. We’ll incorporate rich colorful shapes for flowers, and then go on to an illustrative layer where we bring it all together by drawing some free-flowing lines to distinguish our winged creatures and flowers. Pick a dreamy color palette, and settle into some sweet thoughts about what you are truly capable of. Then paint a butterfly that represents how you will fly.
- This is an extra robust “Bite-Size” class with 3 instructional videos.
- Learn how to layer translucent paint layers with collage.
- Learn about taking risks, and watch me do it.
- Learn what to do when your paint it too heavy.
- Learn how to fix areas your don’t like.
Time: Approximately 1-2 hrs, with a little drying time between layers to do this project.
How it works:
You’ll simply log in to my website from anywhere, on any computer, watch the videos and paint your butterfly. You can watch them as often as you like, with lifetime access.
Scroll down to see the 3 lessons
You will need the following supplies for this bite-size class. Please note: You do not have to go out and buy all new supplies, you can use what you have.
- Acrylic Paints – Any coloras that you like!
- Black and white Collage papers – Once you purchase this class you can download the inspirational collage papers I provide, or print out your own black and white inspirational quotes.
- A Small Canvas – I use a 12″ x 12″ in this class, but any small canvas will do.
- Golden Soft Gel
- Brushes and cups for water, towels for messes, scissors
- Thin paint markers – OR my favorite are “Fine Liners”, which you can fill will Fluid Acrylic Paint. I like the 20 gauge. You could also just use a thin brush for outlining.
- An old credit card or hotel key card – OR my favorite is a “Color Shaper“.
- Optional – Fluid Acrylic Paint, Fluid Matte Medium, Hairdryer